Thursday, June 11, 2009

Life With Ryan Leaf

Oh how the mighty have fallen. I use the term "mighty" extremely lightly. Ryan Leaf was mighty alright. Mighty good at throwing interceptions and mighty great at being the top bust in NFL Draft history. It takes a good amount of suck in one's system to do the things he does. Just when you think the dude couldn't top his level of infamy, he goes ahead and does it. I'm nominating Ryan Leaf into induction of the "Tyson Zone". Bill Simmons, if you're reading this, put him in the "Tyson Zone". You know you want to.

If you haven't heard yet, a warrant was issued for Leaf in Texas. He's being charged with "one count of burglary to a habitation, seven counts of obtaining a controlled substance by fraud and one count of delivery of a simulated controlled substance".

Pretty harsh charges if you ask me.

All I'm saying is that this is a sad story. It doesn't get much worse than Leaf's situation. For the rest of his life he will be known as the guy who epically failed in the NFL. And for an equally epic blow up in the locker room. Has this guy had plenty of chances to turn his life around. Absolutely. Does he deserve another chance? Probably not. But he does need to get in his mind that life is too short to screw up just because life has dealt us a bad hand. You may lose this hand but it doesn't mean you can't come back and win the next. (Oh God, I'm using an extended metaphor about life. I promised myself I wouldn't do this in the blog.) Truth is that Leaf does get some sympathy from me. I wouldn't exactly compare myself to this guy but I have made a few mistakes in the past few weeks. Things that I regret but can't turn back now. From the aspect of making mistakes, I guess me and Mr. Leaf have a few things in common. I just refuse to get charged with burglary or even do anything that would risk me being charged with anything. Period. I want to see Leaf turn his life around.

I can't say I've been to jail or experienced anything close to Ryan Leaf's life but in the short life I've lived so far I've had times in my life where the outlook seems bleak and dark. You just gotta use that to fuel your passion and overcome the demons. For every dark moment in life, you'll have an equal or greater shinning experience or experiences.

Seeing as Vick just got released from the Falcons, I could say the same exact thing about him. Actually I will. You can re-read the above and just replace Leaf with Vick.

I wish the best of luck to Michael Vick and Ryan Leaf in the future. Just cause these guys play(ed) pro football in the NFL doesn't mean they can't screw up a few times. They're human.

I totally agree with Vick being reinstated into the NFL but that's a topic for another post.

One more thing, in order to appeal to the non-sport audience.



itsdoucet.com


And...You've probably already seen this but it never stops being funny.




That's it for today. I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment