Friday, May 8, 2009

Lots of Plugs, Lots Of Music

It's good to see that Brett Favre reads my blog. How do I know this? He followed my advice. As of right now, I resend my statement that inferred Brett Favre is childish. In this moment in time, I believe Brett Favre when he said that he is staying retired. At this very second, I feel Brett Favre is the best quarterback ever. For today, Brett Favre is retired.

On to what really matters right now: new subject matter. New material has been few and far between lately. I've been really struggling to create a blog based around some current shenanigans. The entertainment world has been slacking the past few weeks. Is this a good thing? For once it's not. In a time where I was hoping that Miley Cyrus might get pregnant or Lindsay Lohan would get charged with possession of a mountain of cocaine, Kiefer Sutherland is charged for headbutting. Really? Is this the best that I can do with right now? I really need to start watching The Soup again. This is pathetic. The best I can do right now is something with Miss California. Yeah...about that...

How about music?

I was talking to Randall. Before I go any further, I told him that I was going to plug his candidacy for Prom King, and here it goes: Vote Randall for Prom King! This dude is a genuinely great dude. He has an amazing sense of humor and word on the street is that he is a wizard on the dance floor. Randall deserves to be Prom King and will destroy the competition. Since apparently Tha Sports Corna isn't on the same level yet as 38pitches.com or blogmaverick.com, I can still do this sort of plug. But yea, back to music. I was talking to Randall when he brought up a great point: Top 40 music sucks.

I looked at the top songs on iTunes. More specifically, I concentrated on the top 40. I know it's not the same as the official Top 40 but it's more up to date. Don't get me wrong, pop music is cool. I understand that such music is created and targets to appeal to as many people as possible. What I don't understand is how people's taste in music sucks. Why do people still listen to Soulja Boy? The dude has 2 songs in iTunes top 20 songs!?!? The dude has no flow. I just can't wrap my head around how Soulja Boy is ahead of better talented rappers such as T.I. or Biz Markie. Soulja Boy can't tell a story like Biz Markie can.

At first glance it might look that Green Day might be a nice change in pace with the Top 40. Wrong. Green Day has released some nice stuff in the past but their newest single "Know Your Enemy" is so overplayed in the sports world. I swear, I can't watch any sporting event without hearing "Know Your Enemy" as a transition from game to commercial, or vice-versa. The thing that annoys me the most is that the song sounds eerily similar to another Green Day song "Jesus of Suburbia" with a poppy mix fused into it. That's just wrong. Green Day reminds me of Brett Favre.

I feel that music today has hit a small lull, kind of like a weak draft class in the NFL, NBA, etc. With music recently, there isn't a particular song or artist that I can see being remember in the long term for their great ability, talent, and superstardom. That's how I judge a draft class, by the legacy the people in that draft class leave. You look at the 2009 NFL Draft Class, and overall, it is nothing special. You look at the 1974 Pittsburgh Steelers Draft Class. Legendary. Hall of Famers left and right drafted that year. I haven't seen a large amount of "Hall of Fame" songs or artists lately.

But it's always nice to have a few guilty pleasure songs.

I feel the need to have at top 5 right now. Something about music.

Send some ideas for a top 5 in a future post. I'm trying to get the readers more involved. Questions and email, like a mailbag of some sorts would also work. I'm still messing around with the blog, seeing what works, what doesn't work. Let's add more of a personal touch to the list of random topics to hit and discuss, eventually. Not like anyone would care about what goes on.

Final shots.
  • Celtics v. Magic. Game 3. Prediction: Celtics in a close one. Win by 5, if that.
  • Some how I'll bring myself to catch some Red Sox vs. Rays series. Rematch of the 2008 ALCS. Which reminds me, I need to do a steroids post. Why is it only baseball getting caught? I'll discuss that.
  • I'm in a mood for promotion. Look out for an up and coming blog: Da Info Line. By the way: Adi, you owe me for this. The well established Step Ya Blog Game Up is always a good read.
  • I'd add a personal touch for the end. Exactly one week to prom. It's going to be vicious. I'm so pumped! All white tux = official. A great date doesn't hurt either =]

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the ad. I think the problem with people now-a-days and the iTunes music is that people have stopped buying music that is anywhere from 20 years to just 5 years old. Also, people don't look towards the end of the CD for the real music. They look for the singles in the beginning and middle of the lineup. Sounds a lot like that of a baseball, everyone looking past the 7-8-9 hitters.

    Also, I think you hit it straight on with the 2009 draft class. There are a few gems in the class (Aaron Curry, Michael Crabtree, Knowshon Moreno, Brian Orakpo) but the rest of the class pretty much lags. The number one pick is personally a scrub. Detroit should've been smart and traded this year's first and next year's first for Cutler, instead of taking the gamble on Stafford and going with the guaranteed numbers man. Honestly? Kevin Johnson's playoff guarantee would look much better with Jay Cutler behind center than Matthew Stafford. And could you image Jay Cutler throwing bombs to Calvin Johnson? That's pretty scary. Too bad for them.

    ReplyDelete